About Open Query
Open Query develops and delivers training and expertise for MySQL & related technologies, including system administration and security. Based in Australia, we have engineers in a number of locations. Generally we work remotely although on-site consulting and training is available.
We are self-funding, debt-free, organically growing, and consequentially profitable since inception. Open Query was founded in 2007 by Arjen Lentz, previously MySQL AB employee#25.
We have particular expertise in "optimisation by design", maintenance (preventing trouble), security, scalability and performance tuning. We dislike emergencies, so we help you prevent inevitable system failure from causing trouble.
Our flagship pro-active support subscription is there for your ongoing needs for anything from tuning to replication setup to answering developer questions, and we also take proactive steps to ensure your servers' health, providing you full value for money every month. We feel it most important to build an ongoing relationship. Our pricing is simple, clear, affordable, and published on our site.
Open Query staff meeting photo - September 2012
From left to right: Daniel Black, Peter Lock, Anna Morphett (admin),
Arjen Lentz, Claire (Arjen's partner - not OQ), Steve Dalton
Additional points of possible interest:
- Open Query business cards are printed on 100% post-consumer recycled paper.
- The now illustrious Open Query "transactional writing implements (with rollback)" are made from recycled newspaper rather than wood.
- Our invoicing is done in PDF over email, we have not had to print/post a single invoice yet (we would if someone asks).
- Open Query headquarters uses certified green power.
- Of course travel (for training, conferences, on-site consulting) has a major impact on our carbon footprint. We're pondering ways to minimise this. (Just offsetting is a cop-out, in our opinion. The core problem that needs to be addressed is the consumption.)
We do these things because we want to, not to give Open Query some magical green stamp or environmental image. This is probably the only place where you will see us write anything about it. To us, thinking about these things is simply another intrinsic part of building a company sensibly. In this context, it's generally not even a cost factor and can often bring savings.
The Open Query name and logo are trademarks of Arjen Lentz. Other trademarks and registered trademarks are the property of their respective owners.